So you made the decision to go for an e-learning authoring tool; you eventually chose one from the hundreds on offer. How do you know if it’s any good? Over the years, we’ve heard plenty of people state their confusion in not knowing what an authoring tool should offer and whether or not they’ve actually made the right choice. Therefore, today, we want to look at what you should expect from an authoring tool. An example of two efficient authoring tools can be found in this Authoring Software Comparison.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at what most professionals expect when they invest in an e-learning authoring tool;
- Firstly, it should have a simple layout with the ability to manage various graphic styles to allow for branding.
- Localization should be available and the whole process should be easy to understand.
- Regardless of whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you should be looking for an intuitive interface that offers tips and functions with ease rather than having to go searching for a particular function.
- Customizable compliance as well as the standard options.
- If the courses don’t use an LMS to deliver, the tool should offer some way of tracking offline.
- The tool should allow for imports from PPT, HTML, DOC, as well as Flash SWF. After this, they should export to the same files after allowing for small edits wherever necessary.
- Hopefully, you will have full control over the final product depending on whether you need the content on an LMS, web-based course, or even on a CD-ROM.
- Finally, it can also be incredibly helpful to receive some kind of review notes once the learner has finished.
As long as your e-learning authoring tool covers these abilities, it looks as though you’re in a good position. If you aren’t enjoying a nice easy interface and are actually struggling to find certain features, you might want to dip back into the market because it doesn’t have to be hard. In truth, some programs are targeting the more experienced market and it can be tough to learn if you haven’t got the time. With this in mind, look for a program with a simple design, that allows all the functions above, and provides learners with a chance to leave feedback and you’ll be set for the future!